SARS-Cov-2 or COVID-19 is a highly contagious disease that is wreaking havoc throughout the entire world, on its way to possibly become one of the worst pandemics in human history. It’s important to speak to your children about how contagious this virus is and the many ways they can help prevent the spread of COVID-19.
Helping Children Understand Social Distancing.
Explain to your children that “social distancing” means to keep a safe distance, at least six feet, between themselves and the people outside your household. The importance of social distancing is that it helps in flattening the curve of this virus, meaning it slows it down. As a result, the Healthcare system will not be as overwhelmed to treat all the sick people who contract COVID-19.
How can your child contribute?.
Medical professionals are on the frontline of this pandemic working hard to accommodate the increased need for medical care. They are our heroes and your child can assist them by:
- Washing their hands for at least 20 seconds with warm water and soap.
- Using hand sanitizer in between hand washing.
- Avoiding public gatherings and staying out of crowded places.
- Staying at home as much as possible.
- Helping wipe down doorknobs and other high traffic areas.
Indoor Activities You Can Do with Children.
It may seem like the whole world is at a standstill with the closure of all major group events such as movie theaters and restaurants. Thankfully, there are activities that you can do with your children indoors while practicing social distancing.
- Have a family dance-off! Let your children choose their favorite music and dance along with them.
- Start a workout regimen! Different type of exercises can easily be found online.
- Have a movie marathon! Pull out some of the classics or binge-watch tv-shows online.
- Game Night! Pull out the boardgames or challenge your family to play your favorite video game.
- Story Time! Get comfy and read your children’s favorite stories. For extra fun, get creative and change your voice for each character!
- Karaoke Night! Host a Karaoke concert at home, singing along to your favorite lyrics (warn the neighbors beforehand).
- Have a pillow fight (watch out for the lamp!).
- Get crafty! Let your children express themselves creatively by indulging in arts and craft activities such as oil pastel painting, playdough modeling, water resist artwork and so on.
- Time to get organized! Now is the perfect time to get your household in order. Get your kids involved while teaching them life lessons in deep cleaning and organizational skills (we didn’t say all indoor activities would be fun).
Staying Connected While Staying Indoors.
You can still be social while maintaining a safe physical distance. Encourage your children to stay connected with friends and loved ones during this time with social media, facetime or even video call apps such as Zoom. There are many games that can be played online with friends as well!
Use Telemedicine Services for Non-Emergency Medical Needs.
Child has an earache or woke up with pinkeye? Don’t worry! Use a trusted telemedicine provider such as myDOCTORplan™ to speak to a licensed U.S. physician 24/7 from the comfort of your home. Visit: www.mydoctorplan.com to sign-up today!